Last week was rough. The tragic events in both Boston and Texas, along with devastating floods in the Midwest, left me saddened and discouraged. However, amidst the tragedies, human kindness prevailed. Watching Americans stand together and support one another turned my emotion from sadness to pride.
It’s comforting after an intensely tragic time to find happiness in something lighthearted.
KIND (the snacks company) joined forces with the More Love Letters blog to launch a national (US only), community-wide love letter writing campaign. All love letters must be written, preferably handwritten, for a stranger and left somewhere in your community for someone, anyone to find and read.
If this sounds fun, you have between now and April 27, to write your letter. On April 27 and 28, 2013, letter-writing participants are encouraged to release their letters to the world, en masse. Bonus points if you leave the letter in a community that “needs a little pick-me-up.”
An overview of instructions sent to me by the KIND team:
- Write a heartfelt letter of your choice (e.g. favorite quote, pick-me-up words of advice)
- If comfortable, sign off on the letter with your first and/or last name, a Twitter or Instagram handle and the #kindwords hashtag. Encourage the person to share that they found the letter. (If you’re a minor, please don’t incude any contact information.)
- Put the letter in an envelope with a message to encourage people to open it (e.g. Whoever finds this, open and read).
- Drop the letter somewhere someone will likely find it.
- Take a photo of your letter in the wild and share it via social networks with hashtag #kindwords.
- Follow the hashtag to see what people are finding and sharing.
Questions about the campaign? Tweet @KINDsnacks for additional information.
photo credit: JeanineAnderson via photopin cc