With 2.4 billion internet users around the world and mobile use growing like wildfire, it must be time for an internet update. Enter the annual Internet Trends report from renowned securities analyst Mary Meeker of Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers. Meeker shared her current internet findings from AllthingsD’s D11 Conference:
These highlights pulled from the Quartz team are a great summary of the top points:
- More than 500 million photos are uploaded and shared every day. More than half of those are on Facebook.
- About 100 hours of video is uploaded to YouTube every minute.
- About a quarter of people worldwide say they share “everything” or “most things” online.
- Mobile internet traffic as a percentage of all internet traffic is expected to continue growing one-and-a-half times per year. It’s currently 15%.
- In China this year, mobile internet access surpassed PC internet access for the first time.
- On Groupon, 45% of transactions are conducted with mobile devices.
- Smartphone users check their devices about 150 times a day.
- QR code scanning is up fourfold in China from a year earlier.
- China now has more users of Apple’s iOS and Google’s Android mobile operating systems than the United States does.